GEOSITE DU CHEMIN DE CROIX DE GIGNAC

GEOSITE DU CHEMIN DE CROIX DE GIGNAC

Gignac © OTI
oenorando terroirs Gignac Aniane 1 @ Occidrone © Occidrone / CDRP34
oenorando terroirs Gignac Aniane 2 @ Occidrone © Occidrone / CDRP34

Travelers passing through Gignac will notice these little chapels lined up on a promontory, which is in fact an ancient Miocene riverbed, 23 million years old. Fourteen in number, they form a Way of the Cross that starts at the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce church. It would appear that the first chapel was built before 1672 by the Récollet fathers, the others by parishioners. It wasn?t until the 19th century that they took the name of Stations of the Cross.
The site is also a privileged viewpoint over the "Plaine de l'Hérault" geological area of the Terres d'Hérault Geopark.

Inscrit aux monuments historiques

Address

Rue du Carmel
34150 GIGNAC

GPS coordinates : 43.64703 / 3.55574

Means of communication

  • Fixed telephone : +33 4 67 57 58 83

Means of communication (reservation)

  • Fixed telephone : +33 4 67 57 58 83
  • Email address : sejour@saintguilhem-valleeherault.fr

Free entry

yes

Group tours

  • permanent free visits
  • guided tours on request

Individual visits

  • permanent free visits
  • guided tours on request

Spoken languages

Français

Laguage guided tour

Français

Equipement

  • Car park

Groups

Reception of groups : no